Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm Lost!

When I ran across this book months ago at the American Library Association’s annual conference in Washington D.C., I wasn't lost at all.  I'd made my way to the booth of my favorite picture book publisher, Candelwick Press.  I couldn't wait to order Chris Haughton's Little Owl Lost because, as soon as I saw the "uh-oh" on the first page, I knew it would be a giggle-inducing read-aloud.  I finally shared it today in my preschool storytime and it didn’t disappoint! Accentuated by a wacky color scheme of greens, fuchsias, and oranges, this is the tale of a googly-eyed owl with a propensity for falling head first out of his nest and losing his mother. A helpful (if confused) squirrel guides little owl and young readers on a trek through the forest to find Mama Owl.

Use this clever story to help your children develop their narrative skills by asking them to predict what outlandish animal squirrel will take little owl to next. On the last page, as owl teeters precariously toward the edge of the nest AGAIN, ask your children what they would do if they were lost in real life. Direct them to un-squirrel-like adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment