Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Spooky Box

 
In honor of Halloween, I thought I’d share a new book, by Mark Gonyea, called The Spooky Box. This book, written and illustrated in only black, orange, and white, starts with a knock on the door. Outside is a box. It’s not just your average box, though; it’s a “spooky box!” On each page, the increasingly frightened narrator poses questions and suggests possibilities about what exactly is inside of the spooky box: “It could be full of bats! Or filled with rats! What if it’s spiders? Maybe it’s a bunch of old bones!” Finally, after letting his imagination run wild, the narrator enlists the reader’s help: “AHHGH! I can’t do it! It’s just TOO spooky. I know. You do it. You open it!” I won’t reveal what happens next, but I will say that this silly book will surely get those creative juices flowing, as your child tries to decide what could possibly be in that box. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment