Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Mother Bruce

It probably won’t surprise you to know that in my line of work, I read A LOT of picture books. Sometimes I come across ones that I really enjoy and am excited about reading at storytime. Other times, I’m disappointed in books that I thought had lots of potential. Every now and then, I encounter one so special that I can’t stop talking about it. Mother Bruce, by Ryan T. Higgins, is the latest book to fit into that category. I’ve already shared it with coworkers, family, and friends, and it’s been unanimously declared a hit. It’s really that good, folks.

Bruce is a grumpy bear whose one joy in life is scouring the internet for different egg recipes to cook and consume. All is well in his world until one day some eggs he plans to eat end up hatching before he has the chance to cook them. The goslings that emerge are convinced that Bruce is their mother and immediately call him “mama.” The already-grumpy Bruce, now a “victim of mistaken identity,” becomes even grumpier as the goslings foil his many, hilarious attempts to get rid of them. Finally, the persistent goslings wear him down and turn Bruce into a bit of a softy. This charming and heart-warming story will keep you and your kids giggling and begging for additional readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment