Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!

Though Isaac may look like everyone else, he has special superpowers that make him different from other children at school. Kids who don’t understand Isaac sometimes call him names. In Melanie Walsh’s new book, Isaac and His Amazing Asperger Superpowers!, Isaac’s differences are explained in ways that kids can understand:

“Because I’m a superhero, I have lots of things to think about. I try to remember to be friendly and say hello to people I know, but sometimes I forget. I’m not being rude.”

“Because my teacher knows I’m a superhero, she lets me fidget with my special toy in class. It helps me feel calm and I can listen better.”

“Superheroes listen carefully, but sometimes get confused. When my brother told me that my tummy would go POP if I ate too much...I believed him! I don’t really get jokes like that.”

This is a perfect book for kids who know someone with Asperger syndrome to gain a clearer understanding of the way it manifests itself, and in turn, show compassion and respect. It’s also a great book for any child to read to learn to celebrate some of the differences that make each of us unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment